Tsunda Church

The Church of St. John the Baptist in Tsunda, located in the village of Nakalakhevi, is a former episcopal cathedral. It was built in the 12th–13th centuries on a rocky terrace surrounded by terraces. Later, a narthex was added to the church, with small rooms attached to its east and west sides. The church, the narthex, and the smaller rooms were not constructed simultaneously.
The hall church is constructed of finely dressed sandstone. The entrance is from the south, while the western door has been carefully sealed, likely after the construction of the enclosing wall. Originally, two adjacent, similarly sized doors were cut into the southern side. Following the addition of the narthex, one of these doors was closed off. According to the construction inscription on the lintel of the western door, the church was built by "Ichkit, son of Gurgen", a powerful feudal lord during the reign of Queen Tamar.
Did you know that…
1. In 1938, the Committee for the Protection of Antiquities carried out restoration work at Tsunda (at that time, the church was cleaned and partially reinforced). A full-scale restoration of the church was conducted in 1982, led by architect-restorer T. Mchedlishvili.